scrappin', yellin' & mixin' it up
words from 111 archer avenue.
welcome. click the tabs to browse around.
i always wanted to be a tenenbaum
you, know?
i am a twenty-three year old darling girl.
i am not married, i have no children, and i didn't graduate from college. but..
i draw birds and robots; i read books; i laugh till i cry; i love until my heart bursts; i sometimes paint my face or arms with stripes if i'm bored; i create; i play guitar.
i am not impressive, but i am me.
i am addicted to Jesus Christ. He never stops loving, never stops giving, and there is always more of Him. He is the perfect addiction. no one else can satisfy.
These are all just mostly vague details. If you want me, come find me. But, I promise, at the very least, you'll think I'm nice.
things i like
(and i like a lot of things).
museums.//
theme parks.//
zoos.//
aquariums.//
road trips.//
naps.//
reading, and lots of reading. especially in unconventional places.//
being silly.//
going to goodwill to find hidden treasures.//
traveling.//
new things.//
vintage things. record players, records, old cameras, old radios, vintage clothes, etc.//
learning new things.//
exploring new places.//
building forts out of pillows and/or blankets.//
getting mail.//
finding new ways to stay organized.//
old books that smell like yummy old books.//
the smell of colored pencils, and crayons.//
the internet, for without it, i might not have some very great friends that i love so dearly.//
squirrels.//
musicals.//
live plays.//
daisies, and trees.//
thai food.//
laughing.//
socks.//
people you meet that are so amazing they make you strive for greatness, not in competition, but just out of the pure fact that you've seen potential, and was found to be wasting yours.//
living a simple life.//
holding hands.//
the rare moments in life where i don't feel self conscious.//
watching home videos.//
hideabeds.//
thrift stores the size of target.//
target for that matter.//
poking people in the nose and saying "beep" at the same time.//
candles and lanterns and kerosene lamps.//
cupcakes.//
showers, washing my hands, and brushing my teeth.//
sitting on rooftops.//
the feel of new shirts.//
warm, summer nights.//
making things for people.//
old shoes from friends.//
macaroni and cheese.//
having great times of talk with God.//
organic, antibiotic-free, preservative-free, artificial flavoring/color-free, no refined sugar or grain food. (just the way God intended.)//
love.
things i listen to
currently:
death cab for cutie. feist. animal collective. modest mouse. owen. iron & wine. mother mother. eisley. her space holiday. school of seven bells. dear and the headlights. the weepies. arcade fire. the format.
and when my heart needs to beatt-pain. rhianna. jay-z. kanye west. flo-rida. ne-yo. justin timberlake. (all hopefully edited.)
things i watch
when life slows for a moment.
the office. my boys. saturday night live. arrested development.
cinema light
that makes my heart glow
the royal tenenbaums. dedication. juno. stranger than fiction. hook. eternal sunshine.
garden state. empire of the sun. caddyshack. ghostbusters. jurassic park. closer. iron giant.
turner & hooch. an affair to remember. eagle vs. shark. lars and the real girl. pineapple express.
the life aquatic. (500) days of summer. the hangover. up.
and in all honesty, avatar in 3D was pretty amazing.
paper and ink
with feelings and thought
cars & trucks & things that go - richard scarry
little bear - maurice sendak
the giving tree - shel silverstein
the quietest cricket - eric carle
there is a monster at the end of this book - grover
crazylove - francis chan
awake - erwin raphael mcmanus
seizing your divine moment - erwin raphael mcmanus
the journey towards relevance - kary oberbrunner
no compromise - melody green
but you can't raise boys to be scared of life.
You got to brew some recklessness into them.
The Lord has always been the One who stirs hearts to give of their resources and primarily I am asking Him to
stir up those who will financially sow as partners with His kingdom advancing in and through my life.
Please take time to prayerfully consider becoming a monthly financial partner, allowing the Lord to pour through you, as He is the Source of all provision.
One-time donations are
very helpful. Relational monthly partners who want to share in what God is doing in and through my life will provide enabling to focus wholeheartedly on His Word and His ways.
If you want to use another method besides paypal to help donate, let me know.
Contributions made directly to me are "love contributions," and are NOT tax deductible.
the archives
click to read back through the years.
2010
2009 (may and after - there's a weird glitch)
2009 (january-april)
2008
2007
2006
2005
2004
So now what? : getting motivated.
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 @ 12:42 PM
This is the start of my "What To Do When You're Unemployed" series. It will chronicle my adventures of being a young twentysomething with no great desire for anything, and then as I go, it'll show how I got to the other side. Enjoy.
[Getting Motivated] Okay, easier said than done, I know. But the last thing you want to do when you find yourself out of work is sabotaging yourself by wallowing in your misery. Misery loves company, remember? So, when you're already feeling completely uninspired, now is NOT the time to play music that accompanies your mood, or watch that movie that makes you bummed out. Believe me, this is a difficulty I have doing myself. When I'm bummed, I want to watch a movie that will make me stay bummed. When I'm angry, I want to listen to music that makes me stay angry. In fact, just last week I was listening to UnderOath just because I was frustrated with everything and I wanted to hear someone else scream for a change. And it feels nice, of course. Ever have one of those friends that tries to cheer you up when you're upset? Sometimes it's a really nice gesture, and sometimes (with me, more often than not it's this way) it's most definitely NOT appreciated. I LIKE being fully submerged in my mood. There are rare times when that is okay and appropriate behavior (see: dramatic life change, loss in family, etc.) because you need to effectively get all of your emotions out. But when it's just about the hiccups life throws your way, you need to snap yourself out of it. Which brings us to the big question: HOW?
- Play music that makes your butt move, even if you're *so* not excited about it.
I recommend "Close to Me" by The Cure, "That's Not My Name" by The Ting Tings, "You Make My Dreams" by Hall & Oates (Seriously, try not to move to this one. I DARE YOU.) or if all else fails "Single Ladies" by Beyoncé. I have a mix on my iTunes entirely devoted to dancing in my underwear. Sometimes life demands you dance in your skivvies.
There is nothing that sucks the life out of me more than when I set out to be productive, and "all of a sudden" five hours later, all the more productive I've been was clicking "refresh" on facebook a thousand times. On the upside, it means I've burned like 3 calories. So that's exercise, right? But in all seriousness, get outside. I know, I know. EVERYONE tells you to get outside. 20 minutes in the sun gives you an amazing boost in your Vtamin D production; Fresh air in your lungs feels so much better than the airplane-reminiscent air circulating in your house. Since it's still Winter, I'll admit that it's harder to get outside. But, for your sanity, AT least go out to get the mail. Even if you don't want to go outside, at least do something non-electronic. I firmly believe that God didn't create us to be constantly surrounded by flickering lights. Read a book. If you don't like to read, bake something. If you don't like to bake, create something. If you don't like to create, do some jumping jacks and get your blood flowing. If you STILL don't like to do anything of that sort, then spend 20 seconds analyzing what you DO like and provided it's not electronic, GO DO IT!
- Try to create. (And when I say 'try', I mean DO.)
Some of us aren't artists, writers, chefs, gardeners, musicians, or of the building type. Some of you think that the only thing you're ever potentially going to be good at creating is a baby, and that's only because God-designed it that way. But here's the thing. God is a creator. The Creator. And His likeness and His image and His heart was created into us. Find something you can do, and be proud of it. I tried out one of my waffle recipes yesterday and it was a horrible disaster. I sat on the floor disappointed and dejected and that's when Spencer said to me, "Look. I went to Culinary School. I have a degree in creating food. And in all of my training and all of my everything, you've officially made more waffles from scratch than me." I shrugged off his statement, but it's true. I know more about making waffles from scratch than a Chef. Granted, he may know the mechanics behind it better, but what I did learn is I have to enjoy even my small victories, and so do you. So, you can't draw? Try. So, you can't write? Do it anyway. Go find something you can pour into for a little bit and when you're done, whether it's amazing or not, rejoice in your small win. You've created something. That's pretty great.
- Destroy your self-limiting beliefs before they destroy you.
I'm not sure how familiar any of you are with the term "self-limiting belief". It's pretty self-explanatory, but in essence, it's all of those thoughts and lies that are keeping you from being the amazing person God wants you to be. For instance, "I'm not smart enough", "I'm not good enough", "I tried that once and it was horrible so clearly it means I'm to never to it again". Things like that. We all have them, and we all have to work through them before they shut us down and enable us to be weak, uninspired individuals that never serve a purpose. Spend some time thinking about what yours is. Write it down on a piece of paper, then
CROSS IT OUT. It sounds silly, but it is quite silly. Then after you are done crossing it out, write the opposite of it. Mine looks like this: "
I am inadequate and unprepared for life and I feel like I don't know where I'm going or even how to get there. Everyone else around me has it figured out and I'm sitting in the shadows with my head bowed." Now it says: "I am perfectly adequate and everything I need to be great is already inside of me. I am going to be amazing and great, full of life and adventure, and everyone is going to ask me for advice on how I let myself be so amazing." (Notice the key words there:
let myself be amazing.) Once you look at yourself differently, you can change your perceptions about your surroundings and your circumstances. Stop beating yourself up and believing lies that are most certainly not true. You have to believe in yourself before you'll get anywhere.
“You have to believe in yourself, that's the secret. Even when I was in the orphanage, when I was roaming the street trying to find enough to eat, even then I thought of myself as the greatest actor in the world.”
-Charlie Chaplin.
So, that's it for this installment. You gotta get motivated to even set goals and know where you're going. But more than that, you have to believe in yourself. That's the thing with acorns. They're the tiniest of things. But they grow into a mighty oak. Everything that acorn needs to be an oak is already inside of it. It doesn't need to try harder, or earn it, or wish hard it was something else. Because all it needs to do is be itself, and add in a little time.
Labels: being amazing, motivation, unemployed
0 comments
read it back to me, pietro.
good reads or good websites.
Team Van Voorst - Paige updates her life as wife, mom, and general frugal lady!
LG & Brian Alsbury - LisaGrace writes about being a new wife, matters of the heart, budgets and goals, and general awesome things.
Changing Again - Insight to Danielle's crazy world.
The Alexanders - Jess and Mike moved to Japan. Here is their side of the world.
Simple Mom - A great website devoted to simplicity.
Remodeling This Life. - Simple. Frugal. Fabulous. (She did an AMAZING home remodel based soley on cash.)
Mint - The EASIEST, most-AMAZING, FREE way to build a budget.
design*sponge. - Creative and original design ideas.
Organizing Your Way. - A personalized approach to decluttering your life.
SmittenKitchen - Seriously some of the BEST recipes i've ever come across. SO awesome.
go, mordecai!
good buys.
rare bird finds. - a collection of unique items.
fredflare! - a shop full of fun and functionality.
[etsy] - if you want anything handmade or vintage, look here.
mighty goods. - an updated collection of fun things.
threadless. - tshirts designed by everyday people.
raygun. - formerly smash, this is an independant shop in des moines that specializes in awesome shirts.
wildcat. wild...cat.
other good websites.
questionable content. - my favorite webcomic by jeph jacques. (contains swearing and adult situations.)
postsecret. - updated every sunday, this blog contains secrets sent in by individuals all over the world.
cute overload. - bad day? stare at picture of cute things. it helps.
is that a tic-tac?
layout credit.
Design : everlastingroses!
Inspiration : indreamsmaybe
Image : swimchick